Deciding on the Game Setting

Trying to decide the setting for the game was surprisingly one of the most difficult decisions I had to make.  Its not just deciding the time period that needs to decided (such as futuristic, post-apocalyptic, medieval) its also the art style. Do you go with a more realistic art style or in a stylized cartoon-ish direction. Keeping my hardware limitations in mind, a stylized art direction makes more sense as stylized 3D models generally have low poly counts and are not as CPU or GPU heavy in terms of resources.

The time period setting can really define the personality of the game. In my opinion a fantasy setting provides the player with the most diverse set of environments, characters and opportunities, even though a fantasy setting for an RPG may be a bit cliche.

Figure 1: A demo scene using stylized assets.

A close second to me was a post-apocalypse setting. Keeping my hardware specs in mind, this setting actually seemed like a good idea. Wide open areas, little to no foliage and low density areas are very manageable for me and my hardware. But, in the end it all came down to my personal preference, which was a medieval fantasy setting with a stylized art style.

I was never really a fan of a sci-fi setting to begin with. But, after playing games such as The Outer Worlds, I am warming up to the open world sci-fi genre. Hopefully, in the future, I will give it a shot.

Comments